The renaissance fortifications of Floriana are part of Malta’s designated World Heritage Site. Our challenge was to accommodate modern forms of development within an invaluable historic environment.
The brief was to produce a comprehensive development framework and detailed design guidance to create a new mixed use urban quarter on 25 hectares of semi-derelict yet sensitive land, providing:
- 900,000 sq ft Government Administration Centre
- New financial quarter for Malta
- New commercial, leisure & transport facilities
- A series of development framework plans
- Detailed design guidance for character areas
- Contemporary building typologies designed for historic compatibility & Mediterranean climate