Flexible, high quality living environments are an essential component of the long term strategy for growth at universities. Faced with increased competition, such accommodation not only maintains its ability to attract new students, it also provides additional revenue streams through the hosting of conferences for the commercial sector.
This steeply sloping site presents a significant opportunity to establish a dramatic new building with a unique identity. Our design responds positively to this challenge. A distinctive octagonal form, with a tiered central space and five associated wing blocks provides 388 study bedrooms, ancillary social facilities and a 350 seat refectory. The building cascades down the hillside giving spectacular views to every study bedroom and culminating in a fully glazed conference/banqueting facility overlooking the valley.
- Exceptional ‘sectional planning’ maximising value of 1 in 5 gradient
- Octagonal building form on a sloping site creates unique identity
- 388 study / bedrooms & conference facilities
- Bars, dining & banqueting facilities
- Building can also operate as a hotel
- Flexible accommodation, from students to delegates
- All rooms designed to accessibility / mobility standards
- Building enhanced by retained mature landscape