This competition winning design for a modern Mosque is rich in ideology and architectural narrative. It integrates with the historic town fabric by using a public garden as an interface and creates an iconographic architecture borne of iconology.
This is a Smart Building, designed to meet the noble objective of self-sufficiency. Technology is utilised gracefully as an inherent part of the form. The design philosophy, underpinned by Islamic tradition, results in a gracefully scalloped dome that rises from the round and warmly envelops you as you approach it.
- Designed to positively integrate with existing community
- Scalloped circular form draws on Islamic tradition of repeated geometry
- Building set in a public garden that radiates into surrounding street
- Designed to be thermally massive, reducing heat demand
- Smart Building cuts free from the national grids by:
- Photo-voltaic generated power
- Hot water provided by twin-skinned solar roof
- Water provided from deep-water aquifer
- Retractable roof allows prayer to be conducted in ‘open air’